Monday, May 31, 2010

Jacob Berger (1745-1838) and His Descendants

Entrance gate to the Berger Cemetery on the Toshes Road

Jacob Berger Sr.'s Gravestone

Jacob Berger was born on December 21, 1745 in Frankfort, Germany and died on January 25, 1837 at his Clifton Plantation on Frying Pan Creek in Pittsylvania County, Virginia. Jacob's sister Catherine Berger, who was born about 1749, married Daniel Crider and they settled on an adjacent plantation on Frying Pan Creek. Daniel Crider built his mill in 1791 a short distance downstream.


Jacob Berger's wife Christina's Headstone

Christina Berger was born January 31, 1753 and died November 11, 1838 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia. Jacob and Christina had 12 children.

Jacob Berger paid 1000 pounds for 240 acres on both sides of Frying Pan Creek on June 15, 1779. Edward Wade and David Wade and David Ross owned adjacent land.

Jacob's brother-in-law In 1785, Daniel Crider was working as a blacksmith in a forge in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. On January 16, 1786, purchased 300 acres on Pigg River. On January 30, 1790 Ann and William Cornelius and Jephtha Cornelius sold Daniel Crider 202 acres on both sides of Buck Branch of Frying Pan Creek "adjoining the lands of Jacob Berger and David Ross." Daniel Crider's 1791 mill site that we located was a short distance below Buck Branch on this tract.

Then on April 10, 1790, he paid only 25 pounds for 500 acres on the "draughts of Frying Pan Creek." This land shared 1,560 feet with Jacob Berger and 3,102 feet along his own lines "crossing Green Branch."


This old chimney was built in 1779 for the original Jacob Berber cabin.


Burger house at Clifton. The older cabin was nearby, where the chimney remains. To the left here is the Frying Pan Creek and not so far down stream the old Daniel Crider's 1791 mill stood. This house was built by Jacob's grandson George Tyree Berger

Berger's Store
Berger's Store, on the Toshes Road, was built in 1829 by Samuel Berger, Bryan and Samuel Nowlin. Berger’s Store building had a front room 18 by 20 feet. Back of this was a “counting room.” Early voting was at the courthouse, but about the time in 1829 when this store began operation, voting was by districts. Berger’s Store became one of the voting places. There was a larger “warming room” in back with a bid fireplace. A stairway led from this room to a room above where the clerk had sleeping quarters. There was a post office in the store beginning in 1841.

Capt. Samuel Berger's home was near the store and across the road from the Berger graveyard. Across the road was a "Tobacco Plant" for "manufactured tobacco."








On the southwestern banks of Frying Pan Creek Jacob Berger built his Clifton Plantation House. This is a retaining wall and at left above is the chimney for the original Berger 1779 home.

18 comments:

  1. I'm a descendant of Jacob Berger through his son John and John's son Achilles. Thank you for all the information and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also descendent of Jacob Berger and have an old unpublished manuscript on the Berger family written in 1940. If interested in a copy, send me your request to buckeye465@hotmail.com
    I also sent an email to Dan, but he did not respond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Berger Family Genealogy manuscript I mention above is spiral-bound and 60 pages long. It goes back some 6 generations from 1940 to ca. 1755.
    Cost with postage, mailer and publication is $18.00. And these are my costs to you. I'm not in this to make any money - just providing a service to descendents of the Bergers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this still available? Please email me any info. I am also a decendant of Jacob.

      Delete
  4. Adriana I am also a descendant of Jacob, his son John, his son Achilles, his son Townsend, and Townsend's son George Achilles. I have a family tree on Ancestry.com that I'm trying to get going. Have some information, not sure all is correct though.
    Christina Davis
    cjdavis2400@yahoo.com
    Sorry had to post anonymous, didn't have any of those accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I am a descendant of Jacob, George T and Samuel Berger of Pittsylvania County Virginia. However I am from a biracial background of this family. I found records where George and Samuel Impregnated some of their slaves and I am one of the results from these interactions. My family members were Burton Berger, George W. Berger ans Will Berger all of Pigg River, Frying Pan Creek and Gretna. I have census records, property deeds, land records of all accounts. I know this might come as a shock but it's true. Ive visited the area several time getting this information. I ve been to Toshes area Cliffton, Pigg River and Frying Pan Creek. Would love to hear from you. MIchigan Descendant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am Curtis Tanks of Manassas, Virginia. My great grandmother, Louise Berger, is a descendant of slave Bergers from this same family. Louise' husband was Riley Tanks Sr. also from the Pigg River area of Pittsylvania County. I, also have been to the area several times and will be going down there tomorrow to do more research on the Tanks family from that area. The original last name of my family is Tank. If you have had any info on the Tank/Tanks family I would like to hear from you. My email is cutty934@aol.com. Would be glad to talk to you.

      Delete
  6. Hello to the previous post.

    I am a descendent of the slaves Milton Berger and Jane Crider...that were owned by someone (who I have yet to identify) on the Frying Pan Plantation. My family still lives in Pittsylvania County; however, I reside in New York. I am desperately searching for more information on my family. Can you please provide me with any leads, tips and/or suggestions.

    Thanks so much in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am Curtis Tanks of Manassas, Virginia. My great grandmother, Louise Berger, is a descendant of slave Bergers from this same family. Louise' husband was Riley Tanks Sr. also from the Pigg River area of Pittsylvania County. I, also have been to the area several times and will be going down there tomorrow to do more research on the Tanks family from that area. The original last name of my family is Tank. If you have had any info on the Tank/Tanks family I would like to hear from you. My email is cutty934@aol.com. Would be glad to talk to you.

      Delete
  7. I am a descendent of Catherine Berger and Daniel Crider through their son, Andrew. I currently live in NC but my parents live in Martinsville but some of my family still lives in Pittsylvania Co. I visited the Berger Cemetery on
    July 5, 2013. I was shocked at the condition of the cemetery. It would be nice if some of the family living in the area would keep the cemetery mowed.
    thaynes@wakehealth.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if anyone has ever completed an inventory of the cemetery headstones? I'm trying to locate a couple of family members from a Crider daughter who passed away in 1890.

      Delete
    2. Hi I’m Ashley Berger and i think i’m a descendant from Jacob Berger. I’ve been trying to make a family tree for months is there anyway you can contact me?

      Delete
    3. Ashley,

      I am planning on starting some new work on my geneaology, which sounds like it overlaps with yours. I would like to hear where you are in your research and be of whatever help I can be. I can be reached at stephen.berger@ieee.org.

      Delete
  8. I know this place very well. The people who live in this house are relatives of mine.
    It is a beautiful place. A lot of history there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how families "migrate". My daughter through her paternal side is also a descendant of the Berger and Crider families. The first connection to the families is her great grandmother, Myrtle Mae Crider who married in Ohio then came to Saskatchewan, Canada in the early 1900s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a descendant of Daniel (Kreider) Crider and Catherine Berger Crider through their son Samuel Crider, b. 1783 in Pittsylvania County, PA, d. 1843 Crittenden County, KY. I would appreciate any additional history of the Bergers.
    jeffreywatson47@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a descendant of Jacob Berger. Would someone be able to give me directions to the Berger Cemetery on Toshes Road? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there in 2016 for my step-mother's funeral at the Berger Cemetery in Greenfield. We then went over to the Berger Cemetery at Toshes. I recorded the location, which you can put into Google maps to get directions:

      • Berger Cemetery – Greenfield
      Location: 36.952414,-79.268675

      • Berger Cemetery – Toshes
      Location: 36.957569,-79.483876

      Delete